Thursday, July 20, 2006

Okay, so it's true. I'm an insomniac. Either that or a worry wart. :-) I couldn't sleep so I decided I'd get up and get my 'thinking' work done.
I opened up the windows and got the first breath of morning air. There's nothing like the smell of wet earth, pine, and aspen on a crisp, cool mountain morning. The birds are starting to sing already and the sun isn't quite up yet. I never noticed their lack of singing at night and then their heralding songs in the morning before until being up here this year. Some morning, their little songs annoy me. I'm used to be awakened by the blare of truck horns and the swish of cars not tweets and caws.
I'm continuing to plod through the book. Can someone love and hate a book at the same time? That is the delimma I face now. I am over 3/4 of the way through this book and the author still has not fulfilled her promise. Oh, she finds the other character's journal, if you can call it that, eight crumbled pages in a deteriating book, but she doesn't really do anything with it.
The plot has a LOT to be desired. There is not much dialogue to speak of and even when it is found in the text, there are no quotation marks to set it off from the narrative. I find myself skipping large paragraphs, sections of pages because of the narrative and description. The description does go on forever and I find myself going back and reading it, hoping to learn something from it.
I'm two chapters to finishing. I skipped ahead last night because the 1990's character had driven herself into a state of silence cutting everyone off in her life, buried in grief. I wanted to see what happened to her and the man she was living with. She discovers a horrible secret about him and I am disappointed that instead of confronting him, she does nothing. She says nothing, just goes on as if nothing has changed between them.
It's just such an odd book. I don't really like it because it just seems to be words put down on paper about these two women. Their lives don't really go anywhere. Yes, their lives do change, but their doesn't seem to be anything redeeming, anything satisfying or left for the reader when one finishes. Maybe it's just me.
Anyway, time will tell. Two years down the road, if I remember this book, the author will have done her job--written a book a reader remembers despite the content. I hope some day readers can say that about me. More tomorrow.
Til Then~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home