Tuesday, July 11, 2006

For the past few hours, I have been reading and studying poetry. I don't consider myself a poet even though a few of my poems have been published. One thing that has struck me is that a poem is written from an idea, not a theme or topic, but an idea. (Okay I am hearing weird noises. I don't have the radio or tv on, but I hear music.) I'm reading the "Art and Craft of Poetry" by Michael Bugeja. I have also been reading books on poetry written by my friend, Harvey Stanbrough aaaannnnddd getting ready to listen to some poets read their work from the "Poetry Speaks" series. My friend, Robert Ferrier, another poet, turned me on to the series. I am particularly interested in hearing Sylvia Plath read her work. I have been drawn to her for some time now. Perhaps it is because I am trying to understand her suicide.
When I think of Sylvia Plath, I think about my great, great, great, grandmother who hung herself in the barn. She left a suicide note, which I was able to read part of. Its content raged of people not understanding, yet how she couldn't go on with the emotional pain she was suffering.
As I get older and face more situations in my own life, I feel as if I am beginning to understand their desperation. Not to worry readers. I am not out to commit hairy cairy, just trying to understand. My motto has always been "as long as you're alive things can change and usually do in a short amount of time".
Off to listen to some poetry read by some of the great poets--and to find out what the heck that blasted noise is. Will write more tomorrow.
Til Then~

4 Comments:

At 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I understand, Sylvia Plath wasn't serious about ending her life when she did. She had left a note with her doctor's name and telephone number. She knew a new assistant was supposed to come that day and should be there before death would ensue. What she hadn't planned on was the gas from her stove leaking down into her landlord's apartment putting him to sleep so that he couldn't respond to the assistant's calls for help when there was no answer at Sylvia Plath's door.

Her premature death however so shamed her husband that he promoted her work tirelessly to the detriment of even his own career. It's possible that his efforts are what allowed us to appreciate her works with the acclaim they have now received.

Life is filled with ironies.

 
At 7:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that I found you by following the link you provided on the poetry class website. Cheers!

 
At 7:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I went thru a time of thinking that I will take my life, befor my Dr. put me on meds. What is it with poets? Now that I tink about it I haven't written about thouse time that I got close to the end.

 
At 9:10 PM , Blogger creative1 said...

Maybe it's time you think about writing about those experiences. I know there are some things dark and hiding in closets. I have more than my share of dark corners. It's not easy thinking and writing about our experiences. Many times I have been writing and got angry or just sat crying. That is supposed to be a good thing.
The old saying, 'no emotion in the writer, no emotion in the reader' is a standard. I try to remember that when I write.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home