Monday, June 12, 2006

I have spent most all day pondering exactly how I wanted to start this new book. After wrestling with all the facts for an hour and a half, I decided to start at the beginning. Several things had me baffled. I KNOW one is supposed to start in the action, when there is an incident that changes a character's life and starts him down a road of no return. I had problems deciding where that was, then as I was pondering where Evan said to start a book, it came to me.
I was also trifling around with how readers would percieve the book. It is a combination of incidents that have really happened to me and those I've made up. I've heard the old addage, 'write what you know' for years. That was really a problem for me because I felt so many people know my life, how would I protect those characters I was writing about. Then this morning on the trail, I thought about Jack London's book, Martin Eden. It is a fiction story about his life. Those who knew him can pick out the parts that really happened, but those who didn't, just think it's a good story...which it is.
With that, I am forging ahead. I've still got to work on the medieval today, but later I'm going to get the new book underway. Am working on grades, edits for Off The Beaten Path, and the short story course, but I have my timer and it is going to come in handy today. Will keep you posted.
Til Tomorrow~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home