Friday, June 02, 2006

Surprise! Two days in a row. You didn't think I was going to make it, did you? It is still taking me some time to get into a schedule because I am still unpackingk, but I'm getting there.
Yesterday, I did work on my newest novel. I am reading Evan Marshall's "The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing" and working my way through his 16 steps. I am through Chapter One and must say it has helped me define my story idea--get that one sentence. Those of you who have been in my classes know of what I speak. I did three pages last night on the synopsis. I plan to top it off tonight and make my list of scenes. I'm still struggling with a place to begin, but I hope by continuing to work my way through Evan's book that will become clearer. I definitely know my main character's goal. I can't tell you anything about the story yet except it's not romance, it's women's fiction.
Before I left Oklahoma to come up here, I thought a lot about being a poet. When I was at the State Conference, I had the opportunity to hob knob with three-Robert Ferrier, Harvey Stanbrough, and Judyth Hill. I have always been amazed by poets' view of the world. I've often thought I'd like to be a poet myself. The view they have of the world and the way they bring that view to the world is something special. I am studying poetry hoping some of process will rub off on me.
I also signed up for a free Barnes and Noble Short Story Class. I've studied the genre before, but I'm hoping I'll learn one little new thing that will take me to the next level. Sure, I've had a few short stories published, but one can always improve. I have a ss roughed, but would like for this to be more than just another story.
Must run. Need to unpack some more. :-) Will keep you posted on my synopsis journey. Oooohh, I found my medieval, so tomorrow I get to start rewriting that. Tomorrow I am also taking an art class. Such fun happenings.
I'll fill you in tomorrow.
Til Then~

1 Comments:

At 4:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deborah! Glad to see that you made it to CO! I hope that you have a productive and fun summer. Keep me posted on how the LB is going? :)

Patty

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home