Saturday, June 10, 2006

Good Afternoon!
Got out for a while today. Walked around the lake and daydreamed. It's fun to do that, but I have to be careful lest I find myself getting depressed. You know how it is. You dream about things you would like to have and do, put yourself in a multi-million dollar home, have it decorated, have enough money to take care of your kids, help friends, etc., then suddenly your hat flies off and you can't believe an hour has passed.
That's the depth we have to get to in our writing. We have to become so lost, we forget about everything. And we can do it.
Think for a minute about how your imagination takes flight when you worry about your children or husband. I remember once having my husband dead and buried, then suddenly he walks in the door. I also day dreamed about winning the lottery, what I would do..after everything was paid off.
I'd like to throw out an exercise. Go buy a lottery ticket. Maybe you've never bought one before. It may be against some of your morals, but consider it a science experience. Go buy a ticket, head out the door for a walk and I want you to ponder what you would do if you won.
I know there is this show on television now about those people who won--a group--but to me that's kind of unrealistic. Think about 'you' by yourself winning the lottery. What would you do? Think about it.
After an hour is up, I want you to write about how you felt while thinking about your winnings. Were your thoughts consumed? Did anything else get into your mind? Did you try to keep bringing back reality because you knew winning the lottery was 'unreality'?
Now I want you to think about when you write. Do you get just as lost? Does your make believe world take over?
It better. It better become so real to you, you forget about where you're at, whose around you, and what you're doing. Until it does, you'll have trouble grabbing the imagery and insight you need to write your story.
Okay, enough preaching. Ha! I'm off to jump back in time to 1160. I'll write more tomorrow. (If you do the exercise and have thoughts, share them.)
Til Then~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home