Friday, December 02, 2005

In the Observation Deck this morning, I read about raising the stakes. Raising the stakes for our characters to make them reach for higher goals, go beyond themselves rather than just reporting what goes on in their everyday life.
Besides thinking about that, I've lot a lot about the email I received from Dr. Eric Maisel. I believe I mentioned it in an earlier blog. It has jumped in to my memory over and over again because it gets down to the heart of a matter for me. In this email, Eric talks about how a writer works. He doesn't sit at his computer and key away. He takes time to stare off into space and THINK. Before I read this email I felt like I was cheating at work if I just sat and stared in to space. I've wanted to, oh how I've wanted to, but it seemed as if I wasn't working. After all, doesn't working/writing require pounding the keys.
This piece gave me permission to sit, stare, think, ponder. Permission I have needed for a long time.
What do you need permission for? To write? To read? To take a walk? Have some silence so you can think your plot through? Whatever you need permission for, take it. It's okay for you to do those things.
Til Tomorrow~

1 Comments:

At 5:47 AM , Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Good tip.
My computer is in my bedroom so if I'm having trouble thinking about what to write next I usually just lay on my bed and stare at the roof.
Never really thought I was being so creative at these times, tee,hee..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home