Friday, November 11, 2005

What does it take to be a writer? That's the question I was asked the other day by one of my students. The first thing that popped in my head was dedication.
You have to be dedicated to words, dedicated to the craft, dedicated to improving every day and every time you sit down to write. You have to almost be a writing zealot.
As I thought about this question later in the day, I thought writing could almost become a religion. Many times, writers go against what is the norm. They face mind boggling odds. (Donald Maas once said writers have a 1 in 30,000 chance of ever getting anything published.) They deal with incredible highs and lows, yet every day, day after day, they must return to the same chair, the same words, and produce something fresh and new.
It takes dedication to do that. I'm dedicated to the cause. Are you?
Til Next Time~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home