Monday, January 30, 2006

Today I wanted to write about the importance of examining and experimenting with different artistic techniques and approaches. Since I became a creativity coach, I have been preaching how writers should check out other art disciplines like painting, sculpting, etc. I do several thing. I weave and do charcoal. Sometimes I try my hand at oil painting and I would like to do more but currently time doesn't permit me to indulge as much as I would like.
This morning I watched Carol Duvall. She had a polymer clay artist and a scrapbook artist on her show. I was mesmerized as the guests completed beautiful projects from clay and paper. What struck me however, was the methodical way they did their work. They broke things down, were very organized and succinct, and moved from step to step to step.
As writers, we need to be just as methodical. When I first started writing, I admit, I threw words down on paper. It was great for the creative process, not so great for the final draft. Today, I start out with an idea, get it all out in a rough draft, then go back and begin refining. Many years ago, I read an article on editing by Lois Duncan. She said after she wrote her rough drafts, she got down in the floor with her piece, scissors, and tape. She cut up her manuscript, arranged the pieces where they fit together and made the most sense, and taped them back together.
On more than one occassion I have used her method. It's like putting together a great big jigsaw puzzle. With the computer it's a snap to move the paragraphs around once you get back to the keyboard.
Just like craft projects, writing is a step by step procedure. You do one thing, then another, then another.
Writing is a craft and the more you practice, the better you get. I'm off to practice today. Tomorrow we'll talk about warding off perfectionitis.
Til Then~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home