Thursday, December 15, 2005

I've been reading a book on boosting and then keeping my memory. I don't know if it's my age or all the things I'm doing, but I don't seem to be as mentally sharp as I used to be. Yesterday, while I was teaching I had to really stay focused on what I was doing or I'd lose my train of thought.
It's strange in a way. Some things I can remember easily and other things are in there and gone.
Something I found extremely interesting was short term memory or STM. We've heard the saying, "I've slept since then," in regards to someone forgetting a detail. Pooh, I've even used that phrase. I found there is a reason for that and it is real.
In the daytime, we gather all this information in our short term memory banks. The info may only go in once and not be used for the rest of the day. At night, when we are sleeping, another part of our brain goes to work and decides what is important and should be kept and what needs to be deleted. If something isn't important enough to be brought to our attention a couple times in the day, then it is booted out. Interesting.
I'm thinking that is why meditation is so important. If you have information, you're holding and studying, you're telling your brain, "hey, this is important. Remember it."
I'm hoping to improve my brain power and keep the neurons I have as I get older.
Maybe you should visit here often to see how I'm doing. :-)
Til Tomorrow~

1 Comments:

At 7:45 PM , Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

It's hard to focus on anything at this time of the year.
I'll try to check back and see how the brain power thing is working for you. If I don't forget. Or you don't forget to update, ha,ha..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home