Thursday, October 06, 2005

Just when you think it's safe to be seen in public!
Most editors and writers I know wear glasses. I don't know why I should feel so stigmatized by the fact that I do. I guess it's because even though I wear 'bifocals', I still CAN'T see.
Went to the eye doctor today. Knew I needed new glasses, but wasn't going to play the age card. Yet, there was the doctor reminding me over and over. "At your age this..." she said. "At your age that..." Well, what the heck does that mean? Am I prehistoric in my mid 40's? By the time I reach 50 am I going to need a white cane? My grandmother is 97, has had one pair of glasses as long as I can remember and can still read the itty-bitty print in her Bible.
I've been having trouble seeing with my old glasses really from the first day I got them. But last month, when I got my new computer monitor, I knew I was in big trouble. Everything looked fuzzy, so I tried adjusting it.
"What are you doing?" my daughter said after a while. "You're messing it all up."
"I can't see. Everything is blurred."
She took control of the situation, changed it back to manufacturer's settings and ordered me to go get my eyes examined because obviously 'at my age...'.
I have a lot of wisdom 'at my age' and I would like to think knowing if I can see something or not is one of those things. I guess 'at my age' I should count my lucky stars I've made it this far. According to the young people around me (and my doctors), my age and making it there is one 'big' accomplishment. One day soon, I plan to write about their view of age and us 'older people'...if I can see, that is.
Til Tomorrow~

1 Comments:

At 2:48 PM , Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Write your story now while you are still young enough to remember what you are doing..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home