Monday, October 03, 2005

In preparation for an interview, I was on an author's website reading some background information on her. She is about my age, has been writing 20 years, same as me, yet she is on the New York Times Bestseller's List.
When I first met her, my first reaction was to 'not' like her. I'll be honest. Afterall, I learned she only had one child, a son, and since she was able to write all the time, her life had to be perfect.
The more I learned about her, the more I realized her life wasn't perfect. Her son is autistic. There are days when he is uncontrollable, days when she has to take him to the doctor, and days when her entire life seems out of control...yet she writes.
This reminded me of my drive and need to write. I was once asked "why do I write?" My response was 'it's like breathing to me'. I'm bumfuzzled when I hear writers say they are going to quit writing. I wish someone would give me the secret code to that one because on days things aren't going right, in weeks that are uncontrollable, in months where I've attended more funerals than I like to think about, I couldn't NOT write. Writing keeps me centered.
Life is not perfect. It never will be, but when we write, when we 'make' time to sit down and put words on paper, we can make it all right...inside. We can gain our balance and get on with the important job of living.
Til Tomorrow~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home