Thursday, September 29, 2005

Sorry, but I didn't get around to writing yesterday. I taught class from 9:30 to 4. I thought I would have enough energy to come home and write my blog, but by the time I did get to the office, I was literally 'brain dead'. I was barely able to remember my name. My kids though, they are something else. Bright, motivated. Several of them brought journals and showed me that they had been journaling over the summer. I was so proud of them. They are funny. They keep me so on my toes. I like sparring with them. They are good kids and good writers. I hope as they get older, some day they look back and remember when we did creative writing. I hope they remember the lessons I am trying to instill in them. Be strong and courageous!
Today, I was neither. I walked around droplets away from tears. Several times, I felt tears well in my eyes and I blinked them back sooooo determined not to cry. (This is one of those parts of being a writer. I guess one could say, the 'dark side'.) I was so sad about several things I've heard, seen, and experienced the past week. They didn't have anything to do with the hurricanes, just life in general.
A silly thing happened today too. I was at Barnes and Noble. I had to go out and do some errands for everyone else. You know how I feel about that. I hate it. I keep thinking about the time I'm wasting running around doing mindless stupid things when where I really want to be is at my keyboard writing. Anyway, I was at Barnes & Noble, looking at the books, becoming encouraged by the topics I saw on the shelves, then I saw a cover that was beautiful. I ran my hand across it and tears welled in my eyes. Boy, that would have been embarrassing to start crying in the bookstore. But this book cover was so pretty. I want a book cover like that. I don't remember the title, but I do remember it was red and gold. The author was female. I remember that because I immediately decided I hated her. She had this gorgeous hardback book published and I was out taking keys back to an apartment for my daughter, going by the accountant to deal with doomed projects for my husband, running by the college for my son, and the bank for all three of them.
What I wanted to do was stay home. Okay, so the roofers were hammering overhead and my ceiling was falling down in my office.
All I've ever wanted, since I've been old enough to know better, was to be a writer. I want to write books with meaning, books that tell stories, and books that will touch people.
This morning I was reading one of Sabrina Jeffries' books before I had to run off on many a fool's errands. I so did not want to go.
So sad, the life of a writer. A writer has to be able to sit down and write. A writer has to have a product (a Book) before she can sell it. So here I am. At 11:00 PM going to work. Will I ever be able to have male working hours? My grandmother always use to say, "A man works from sun to sun. A woman's work is never done." No truer words....
Til Tomorrow~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home