Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Hearing isn't always believeing.
"People act as they think--and also react to the thoughts of others, especially when those thoughts are stronger and more convincing than their own." (The Magic of Believing by Claude M. Bristol, page 21)
Early on, I knew I wanted my children to be independent thinkers. I wanted them to be strong, have a head on their shoulders, and not follow the crowd. That's been a two edged sword for me. They are independent thinkers, but then they don't always listen to what I say either. Yikes!
I wanted them to be IT because I've watched too many people for too long being led around by politicians, peers, and the media. There is a difference between being realistic and gathering information and then following the pack blindly because someone throws his own neurosis out there.
I find myself asking why and what does that person gain from giving his opinions.
Many years ago, I attended my first writer's conference. A well-known, widely published author spoke. I was anxious to hear him as his books had been made in to movies, he was respected in his field, and he was a college professor. I expected to hear news about New York or tips on craft, instead this author stood in front of the assembly and for over an hour and talked about how loathesom and criminal the business was. I wondered why this fellow continued to write if he had such a 'dark' view of everything.
Later that night, a group of us newbies sat around and discussed the session. It had been quite depressing and there were a few participants who decided writing/publishing wasn't for them. They packed up and went home the next morning. I wasn't about to quit, but I did wonder if he had such a hard go of it with all his credentials, how in the world was I supposed to fair in the big, bad publishing 'hellhole' as this author had put it.
The next day, I got my answer. My writing mentor was a friend of his. Somehow I wound up sitting across the lunch table from this guy.
"So why did you say all those bad things yesterday?" my mentor asked him. (She is always frank and will dive in where angels fear to tread.) "You know it was so discouraging to people who have just started in the business."
He looked around the table and squarely back at her. "I know," he said, "but you know there are so many people who want to be writers and shouldn't be. And I don't need the competition."
I've thought a lot about that conversation and the people who left the conference earlier. Have never seen them again, but have often wondered what would have happened if they stayed. What if they knew the 'other half of the story' as Paul Harvey would say?
Looking back over my twenty years, I tend to agree that publishing is difficult. It is a cut-throat business, but I also know if someone wants to get published badly enough, he will.
I believe authors, new and seasoned should listen to what's going on, but never let the negatives steer you away from what you want. If you want to be published, you will. You will get up in the morning and no matter how many rejections you've received the day before, you'll send your manuscript out again.
I tell my students all they need to do is 'believe'. No matter the naysayers, the odds, the seemingly unscaleable mountains, all you've got to do is believe. All it takes is one sale and you're on your way.
I believe it.
Til Tomorrow~

1 Comments:

At 6:00 AM , Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Nice post.
I also wanted my children to be independent thinkers.
They questioned everything at home and at school. Yikes.
At a parent/teacher conference one of my sons teachers told me that my son had a learning disability.
Apparently he asked too many questions, tee,hee..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home