Saturday, August 13, 2005

Hello! Well it is extremely strange how time gets away from you when you start to work. I've always known that, but today is another good example of it. First, I didn't get up until 8. Yikes! I sat up, waiting to watchthe meteor shower. Unbenownced to moi, it clouded up from 9 until midnight, so when I went to step out on the deck, I realized no stars because of the clouds.
I have been reading J.K. Rowling's biography. I am amazed at how her star shot to the top so quickly. Within seven years, she went from having nothing to being a multi-millionaire. She started writing Harry Potter back in 1990 when she was sitting on a train going from London to Manchester. She said she envisioned him getting on this train and her thoughts took off from there. Publishing houses lie Putnam, Viking, and Doubleday turned her down. I'm sure they are kicking themselves considering the mania her stories have caused.
I am so pleased for her, I got teary-eyed as I read about her success. Then a little envious because I wish it could happen to the rest of us so easily.
She now has three houses in England and Scotland. You know as I was reading this morning, it struck me how much I have been limiting myself by limiting my thoughts. I've always wanted a huge log home up here on some acreage. I've wanted some space so David could have horses and finally do what he would like to do. But for the past few years, I've limited myself. I've said I'll settle for the condo. I'll settle for the place back in Oklahoma. I'll settle for my teaching jobs, my few speaking engagements, my few articles and books. Then this morning, I asked why?
Why settle?
Is it because I don't want these things? Is it because I don't want to be on the bestseller's list? Is it because I don't want to make money? Or is it because everyone around me is telling me to settle? David seems to think this is the best we are ever going to have it. My dad keeps saying this is the best it's ever going to get because the bottom is going to fall out of everything. My friends seem to think having a job while writing a little here and there is the way to go because everyone's knows 'you can't make a living writing anyway? My question always comes back to why not?
Why do people limit themselves and their potential? Anything is possible to them if they are willing to work for it and go after it. I'm not saying it will be easy. I'm not saying they will get what they want over night, but if they really really want something, they can have it.
Okay, enough for today. Ponder the why's and why not's. What's holding you back?
Til Tomorrow~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home