Saturday, August 06, 2005

Today is a sad day today. I hardly know how to share the news. We all had such high hopes our Ranger Jeff would be found alive. Well, he was found, but the news was not good. I went out about 3:30 p.m. The RMNP helicopter was in Horseshoe Park. They lifted a guy up on the end of a rope over that mountain there that the Bighorn come down over. Anyway, a Ranger was standing there so I asked her if they had found Jeff. She said they did about 15 minutes earlier, but it wasn't good. He was dead. The helicopter was already back from behind the mountain. Supposedly that's where they found him, right over the ridge. Aaand with all the rescue people all over the place, a 'day' hiker found him. I can't get over it.
David and I have been up Chapin Pass. We have been up Lawn Lake Trail. We have sat down in Horseshoe Park and looked up over that Ridge for years looking for sheep. It's just hard to believe a young hardy Ranger is now gone because of a 'fall'. A FALL! And right there. Right there.
As I said, it is sad. I look up at those mountains and tears come to my eyes. He loved this Park. He loved the outdoors. Now, he is gone. So sad.
They've had his picture on the screen and have given news reports about him in the last week for a total of about 15 minutes. It's sad that one's life can be reduced to 90 second news clips.
I'll write more tomorrow.
Til Then~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home