Monday, April 03, 2006

Time to think as you write--now there's a novel idea. It's amazing to me how many people out there think anyone can sit down and write a book. Believe me, those of us who are in the trenches, know that's not true. I've picked up books before and asked what was this person thinking. Parts didn't make sense, the plot was contrived. One book I read, actually it was requested for review, didn't have ANY punctuation. No period, comma, semi-colon was found through the entire "hard bound" piece of trash. They said the book was experimental. I guess. It was the most worthless piece of trash I had ever picked up. In addition to that, there were no paragraphs. Everything ran together. What was the editor smoking when he took that thing? Okay, enough of this. I digress. Back to thinking as we write.
A writer has to have time to sit and think while he writes. Staring in to space, letting your characters lead you, listening for what they have to say is all a part of the creative process. Most people, my husband included, think a writer goes in, a line shines down on them and wala, a story/book/article is born. They think it can be hammered out in 10 minutes or so. Nothing could be farther from the truth. When the general populace tries their hand at writing and they discover how truly difficult it is, most drop the idea of being an author like a hot potato. Authors/writers are truly a rare breed. We sit, listen, and think. Imagine that.
Til Tomorrow~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home