Wednesday, February 07, 2007

How do we know if our work is good enough? Honestly, it never will be. I have sent things out, had them published, and refused to read them. I knew if I did read them, I would find things lacking.
A while back on one of my assignments, I kept writing and rewriting, writing and rewriting. I sent the piece in to my editor, then sent her another version, then another. She finally emailed me and wrote, "Stop it already. You're killing it!" When we later spoke, she said I was writing (or in my case, rewriting) it to death. I just felt like it could be better. I wanted to make a few changes here. Add something there.
I have mailed pieces out, turned in assignments, then gone to bed and tossed and turned, thinking 'darn it, I should have put that in' or 'oh, this would be so much better.' But it's out there, let loose on society, the bare naked piece with nothing to cover it up.
I shudder to think of it now. So what to do?
If our pieces will never live up to our expectations, what should we do? Do the best we can and move on. Write another piece. And listen.
Our work may not live up to our own expectations, but if it reaches out and touches someone else's life, then we have done our job. We're not asked to write perfection. We're asked to show up and put our work out there.
Are you doing it?
Til Tomorrow~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home