Saturday, January 27, 2007

Last night, my husband and I watched Antiques Roadshow. They always have so many interesting things. I love to hear the history of the pieces. One, last night, was particularly interesting. This guy brought a painting that use to be his mom's. It was painted by a guy named Sutter. Anyway, this guy said he remembered it hanging in their home when he was a child and seeing it all the time. When his mother died, he inherited it. His wife didn't like the painting so they put it in the basement where it had been for a good long while. They had gathered up other stuff to bring to the Roadshow, but as an afterthought, picked up the old painting and brought it too. The painting's value was between $120,000 and $180,000. The guy almost fainted. My first thought was thank goodness the basement didn't leak, but I digress.
Later in to the night, I got to thinking about what a great analogy that could be between a writer and his creative ideas. Think about this for a minute.
Through the years, a writer has many ideas. Some of his ideas he shares with others and because they don't think they have merit, he puts his ideas away, in the basement if you will. Years later, as an afterthought, he brings them out and finds they are worth more than he could possibly imagine.
What are you hiding in your basement?
Til Tomorrow~

1 Comments:

At 4:38 PM , Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

That's a great analogy. Thanks for the inspiration. I feel like rooting around in the basement of my mind for a while, see what I can find.

Andrew (To Love, Honor, and Dismay)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home