Monday, January 08, 2007

When last we met, :-) I believe I wrote about those students in my class who did not like the information I gave them. I know it is difficult to believe editors would take so long to answer a letter, but editors are very busy. In some cases, they receive hundreds of pieces of mail a day. The key word here is patience.
Another piece of advice I'd like to pass on is don't toot your own horn. Your work should speak for itself. You shouldn't and don't want to tell an editor how great your work and what Aunt Martha thinks about it. It doesn't matter and more times than not it simply makes an editor angry.
From personal observation, I have found that those who crow about their work can't write a lick. It's the insecure person who questions everything he puts down on paper who trypically has the talent. Why?
Because the insecure person will work to improve his work while the too-confident one will throw words down on paper, believe they are chiseled in stone, everyone will love them, and dares an editor to change a word.
I'm not suggesting false modesty. I just want you to be realistic about your work.
Til Tomorrow~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home