Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I've been puzzling over something for a few days now. Over the weekend I received an email from a friend. I hadn't spoken to her for a while, had emailed her and asked what she had been writing. She wrote back and said she hadn't been writing. It bored her. Years ago, she taught creative writing, had articles published, and now she's not writing. That doesn't make sense to me, but it does bring to mind other instances where I've heard people quit.
One day, I stopped by to visit one of my creative writing classmates. She had a box of her writing magazines packed up. When I inquired what she was going to do with them, she told me she was giving them away. She was not going to write anymore. She had just had several articles published and I wondered about her decision.
A few years later, I was at a huge writer's conference. All the attendees, myself included were in awe of one writer. She was on the New York Times Bestseller List with her tenth book. At an after party, she told everyone she was retiring and hasn't had a book out since. I guess she meant it.
I've pondered that decision through the years too. I wonder how one just quits. I've tried. Sometimes writing can get so frustrating, I wonder if it's worth all the problems, then bam I find I have a pen in my hand and I'm jotting something, anything.
I'll continue to write. I could NOT write anymore than I could NOT breathe. I love it.
What about you?
Til Tomorrow~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home