Thursday, December 30, 2010

This will be the last post I make this year. I am looking forward to the New Year and the challenges it will bring. In an effort to get my writing back on track, I have spent this past year on a journey of discovery of sorts. I have learned that with adulthood comes reality and that reality can sometimes hamper the creativity I had as a child. I have learned I love research, well, I've always kind of known that, but when I was doing research for the women's history book, I was absolutely in heaven. And finally, I learned I write better fiction and it comes more easily when I have non-fiction contracts going.
I continue my love affair with writing. I know it is something I am meant to do. I don't always feel like I am very good at it, but it is the one thing I always come back to. I continue to get discouraged, but I have things I want to accomplish, so I'm not going to let depression, disappointment, or discouragement derail me. A friend once told me, "you can feel sorry for yourself for 15 minutes, then stop and move on." I'm working on it. Sometimes I go for 20 minutes. :-)
One thing I do know is I will continue to study and hopefully improve. I am sneaking in reading some writing books in my spare moments. Some days I have to go back and read what I read the day before, but I'm not in a race with anyone. I figure even if I'm a turtle, I'll get to where I want to go eventually.
Got to 25,000 words today. Exact count is 25,043!!!! I wanted to reach this goal by the end of the year. That's in 28 days!!!!!!!!!!!! Not too shabby, if I say so for myself. Have my goals set for this book already for next year, but for those who are interested, here is my entire goal list for 2011.

1) Finish up the Home Based Business Book
2) Lose 60 pounds
3) Complete research on women's history and have 3/4 of that book written by 12/30/11.
4) Complete one of my fiction books-The Grave Hunter series
5) Finish all my crochet and knitting projects currently on hooks and needles.
6) Write a children's book on the state of Oklahoma.
7) Send out three query letters per month.
8) Get two new proposals completed and in the mail.
9) Stay in closer contact with friends.
10) Improve my marketing skills for my books.

Well, there it is. Got a lot to do in 2011. A little nervous, but excited at the same time. The challenges will be enormous, but if I stay focused and do what I am supposed to do every day for 356 days of the year, I'll get there. I have long range goals and my yearly goals are only stepping stones to those bigger ones.
I hope you will set goals and stretch yourself next year. I believe we as humans can really do anything we set our minds to, if we're motivated enough and want it badly enough. I do. How about you?
I'd like to wish you all a Happy New Year and may that new year bring you health, wealth, and may all your goals be attained.

Til Next Time~
Keep Writing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home